Thursday, December 6, 2007

New Vision

Ever since I was hired at WYTV channel 33 three months ago there has been a lot of talk about merging with our competitor WKBN channel 27. Well last friday was the day we found out if we had a job or not. What happened with the merger was both stations would be going through massive layoffs because we would all be working in the same building "WKBN" as one joint station. Both stations would be having their normal broadcast but because were all working in the same building a lot of the jobs were downsized. Now my job before was a Photographer for WYTV and what I did was I would go out with a reporter or by myself and shoot stories and edit them for WYTV's news. Now what I will be doing is since I am a New Vision employee I will go out and shoot and edit stories just like before but now the stories will air on WYTV and WKBN. What New Vision did was they bought both of our stations and put us in the same building so they didn't have a photog from WYTV and WKBN at the same story. It is easier and cheaper to have one photog than two. Another thing that New Vision has gone to is "VJ's". This makes me realize that my job position is not as valuable as it use to be because what a VJ does is everything. They shoot, write, interview and do their own stand ups. A lot of the people that I learned from and got to know at WYTV weren't hired back by New Vision and I truly feel terrible for these people who have been doing this for five, ten or thirty years of their lives. I am not real sure why all these people were not hired back but I do think it might have been because they made more money than me. But I can't complain because this is a great oppurtunity for myself to gain more experience. My work load will probably double but that will only help me in the long run. This week I did some job training and basically what I did was I trained on our new editing system "Avid". Its not really like WYTV's editing system or Westminster's but it is the most advanced system out there and it may take some time learning it but once I get it down I should be able to produce a better and quicker quality product.

1 comment:

Brad Weaver, BC Instructor said...

A lot of changes (good for some folks/not so good for others) at what seems like an incredibly busy time of year. New Vision could work on timing.